Kindness is something that everyone should strive to express throughout their life.
Expressing kindness to others is a basic lesson that is commonly learned during childhood.
It's important to realise the positivity that kindness can produce in our lives.
So what ARE Random Act of Kindness? Well a random act of kindness (RaoK) is a selfless act performed by kind people to either help or cheer up a stranger, for no reason other than to make people happy (imagine that!).
We’ve all heard stories where a complete stranger does something to help someone else out. Quite often, the times we only hear about are the grand gestures......but it’s usually the small of acts of kindness that can change someone’s day.
Don’t over think your random act of kindness...the simplest things can make a difference. If you’re unsure about talking to a stranger, you can always spread kindness to a someone you know. Eventually, it will get further from you and before you know it, the kindness will spread to strangers.
So, now we've planted the kindness seed in your mind, here are few ideas on how you can kick-start your own Random Acts of Kindness;
- Pay it Backward: buy coffee for the person behind you in line.
- Let someone go in front of you at the supermarket checkout who only has a few items.
- Encountered someone in customer service who was especially helpful? Take an extra five minutes to tell their manager.
- Try to make sure every person in a group conversation feels included.
- Smile and say hello to strangers.
- Practice self-kindness and spend 30 minutes doing something you love today.
- Know any parents who could use a night out? Offer to babysit for free.
- While you’re out, compliment a parent on how well-behaved their child is.
- Everyone is important. Learn the names of your office security guard, the person at the front desk and other people you see every day. Greet them by name.
- Donate old towels or blankets to an animal shelter.
- Purchase extra dog or cat food and donate to an animal shelter (after all, fur babies need RaoK's as well....right??)
- Find opportunities to give compliments. It costs nothing, takes no time, and could make someone’s entire day. Don’t just think it. Say it.
- Send a ‘Thank you’ card or note to your local police or fire station. They do, after all, put their lives on the line for us....so maybe thank them once in a while.
- Put your phone away whilst in the company of others – actually engage with another human being.
It all starts with you – making a small difference to someone's day. Who knows, they could then do their own RaoK on someone else, and so on, and so on, and so on! Could you imagine the world filled with kindness, instead of hate? Seems far-fetched, but it could, one day, be an actual reality.
In the words of Martin Kornfed "If we all do one random act of kindness daily, we just might set the world in the right direction.".....isn't that a lovely thought....yes, I thought so too.
Download our own 25 days of random of acts of kindness (#25daysRAK) here